Prep school radio

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Nov 10 10:14:57 EST 2004

>>The demise of WPAA (due to lack of student interest, I presume?)
raises some questions about the future of over-the-air prep-school radio
stations.<<

It should be raising some questions about the future of the entire
radio business.  I'm on a college campus every week, and have been for
the past 20 years, as the contract engineer for the Framingham State
station )(WDJM).  I see how college students get their entertainment,
and I can tell you that radio is no longer a part of that equation.
iPod, portable CD players and to a lesser extent satellite radio are how
they get their music.  Once this generation, without the radio habit,
moves into adult demos, particularly 25-54, radio is going to take a hit
it may well not recover from, unless it abandons its protectionist
attitudes and starts figuring out how to remake itself.  If it doesn't,
it will find itself increasingly irrelevant in the next decade.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WQSX - WRKO - WVEI
20 Guest St / 3d Floor