WVAA Burlington VT Sold

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Nov 9 00:13:12 EST 2004

[Picking up some old mail that I held for later replies...]

<<On Sat,  6 Nov 2004 18:20:24 -0500 (EST), "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@myway.com> said:

> If the signal's better than WVTK (I think those are the calls) 1070,
> maybe they can lure Air America away?

Silberberg owns WTWK anyway, so it wouldn't take any "luring".  Would
seem like a very smart move to me -- 1070 is a nothing signal, and as
Scott pointed out, it would not be the first time programming would
have moved from 1070 to 1390.  (1070 was talk WKDR, which moved over
to the erstwhile WDOT in 1993 when the latter threw in the towel on
oldies after 92.1 Port Henry muscled it out after a big 80-90 upgrade.
WDOT had previously been country before getting muscled out by the
erstwhile WQCR's move from CHR to AC to country.)

> ...If it's music I doubt a format like WXRV would show up on AM.

Particularly since Silberberg has run that format on FM in the market
for more than 15 years.  (Oddly enough I didn't become a fan of the
format until I moved to Boston, even though I had one of the first
stations to do it practically in my back yard.  I was a committed CHR
listener in the '80s, who was a P-1 of WQCR and later WXXX for most of
the decade.  When the urban invasion happened, I nearly stopped
listening to radio entirely for two or three years, still completely
oblivious to WNCS up at the other end of the dial.)

-GAWollman