Air America

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Fri Nov 5 16:59:36 EST 2004

Donna Halper wrote:

> How do you think the election results will affect Air America?  <snip>
> Can Air America be the voice of that 49% and be successful, or as in
> the past, do you expect so-called liberal talk shows to fail?

Excellent topic! Radio! Who knew?  Some rambling thoughts on this in
*no* particular order of importance:
AA will have to bring on more name brands than Franken, who appears to
be their 90 point masthead. He needs to learn to love RADIO as much as
he does his point of view. When he finally drops the towel and makes
that commitment, you'll hear it immediately.  And, oh, his message?
That will finally appeal more broadly.

The 48% (adjusted for Iowa) who _should_ love AA as much as the 52% seem
to love Rush will have to learn how the radio thing works (from the
activist, regular caller, diary holder point of view.)  An AA has to
show them how.  Gillette gave away the razor so that customers could buy
the blades.  AA, or other liberal-POV outlets, need to try harder to
figure out what we all know here on this list: a good format does not
make for good radio.  Good radio (execution, talent, and "it") makes for
good radio. The topic or "lean" is to "program" what good radio
instincts and respect for the medium is to the carrier signal.

I really believe that there are more emergent talk radio listeners that
swing liberal.  That would make sense given the younger demo.

Oh, and the other problem? Comedians are expected to be...funny.  They
build up a fan base on their brand.  They hire managers, agents, and
other people just for that reason.  Then, they get...serious. It's like
the "universes collide" problem with George on Seinfeld.  Rodney
Dangerfield? Funny (rip).  Rodney as a talk host? Not funny.  Bob
Newhart? Funny? Talker...nope.  Not that I appreciate the "Shut Up and
Sing" message - all have the right to free speech.  Just don't cry foul
when no one laughs.

So...AA needs to hire good talent. Solid in their skills, and sincere in
their beliefs.  Then do it the right way - grow an audience over the
next 4 years and see what happens.

Bill O'Neill