WWZN / Celtics - Bill Griffith Column

Joseph Pappalardo joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com
Sat May 29 20:37:35 EDT 2004

> > What would be a good fill-in-the gap station for (WWZN and) the Celtics
> > games?

>    I thought WORC (1310 Worcester) carried the Celtics, unless they dumped
> them. Then WCRN (830 Worcester) would be the one to get them.

The thing about WWZN's signal to the West at night...is it starts to
dissappear in Framingham.

WORC doesn't reach East into Framingahm...esp at night.

WCRN does pretty well.

> I can't see
> WXLO (104.5 Fitchburg) cutting into their Hot AC format to pick up the
> games.

Well, if it made financial sense, I think they would.  I don't think they
are so ratings oriented that they couldn't run some games in the evening or
weekends.  I think the added spot revenue might be an enticement.  They
could definitely charge more for the spots if they are in the Celtics
game...that if they were playing just another hour of 'Hot AC' with a
teenage DJ.

> > WCAP or WNNW(800AM) to the North?
>
>     WCAP (980 Lowell) may have some schedule conflicts with Lowell Lock
> Monsters hockey
>    WNNW (800 Lawrence) probably wouldn't drop the Spanish music to carry
the
> games either.

To the North, you would need something that covers the entire Merrimack
Valley...from Greater Lowell all the way to the Shore.  The better signals
up that way are WCAP and WNNW(800AM).  WCCM(1490) doesn't get much past I-93
at night.

I can't imagine WNNW(800AM) is making more during nights and weekends with
the Spanish format...than they would running Celtics games.  WNNW has a
teenage kid playing hip-hop in Spanish (or something similar) at night.  I
can't imagien the revenues would preclude them from running a game.

If WCAP had a conflict with the Lowell Lock Monsters and the Celtics...which
would they pick?  ;-)

Answer:  The one that brings in the most money.