New "Jay" in Town

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Thu May 27 14:29:25 EDT 2004

<<On Wed, 26 May 2004 18:53:36 -0700 (PDT), Joseph Pappalardo <joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com> said:

> Isn't it amazing that we are still living with
> decisions that were made back in the 30's 40's & 50's?
> (I believe WLAW went on the air originally in 1937 or
> '39.)

No more amazing than that we are living with the property lines that
were drawn back in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

> Sometimes I wonder if it would be more efficient to
> 'clear the landscape' somewhow, and start again.

Yes, it would be much more efficient.  The entrenched financial
interests would not permit it to happen.  (Even though an FCC license
officially disclaims being any sort of property, the regulatory regime
has been moving more and more in that direction, and I expect at some
point the disclaimer will fail the "quack test".)

-GAWollman