"Kiss Concert" Ad Heard On B-101

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sun May 9 16:23:41 EDT 2004

   Last night, while scanning the radio dial in my travels, I happened upon
B-101 (WWBB Providence), and listened to some of the "Saturday Night All
Request Oldies Party" with Cruisin' Bruce Palmer. During a stopset, one of
the ads was for Kiss 108's (WXKS-FM Medford/Boston) annual "Kiss Concert"
which is taking place on May 22 at the Tweeter Center in Mansfield. Tickets
are still available according to the ad, which is most unusual, as the "Kiss
Concert" has always sold out the day tickets go on sale. Hearing the ad on
B-101 struck me as strange, due to the fact that this spot for a concert
sponsored by a CHR station was running on an oldies station that's outside
of the Boston market, although Kiss 108's signal can be heard in a fair
portion of the Providence market, and I do believe they show in the
Providence book. The common tie between B-101 and Kiss 108 is that they are
both owned by Clear Channel, and I guess they're desperate to sell out the
show, maybe that's why they're running spots on a co-owned station outside
the Boston market. I wonder if they're running the spots on their other
Boston stations? ( WJMN Jam'n 94.5 or WXKS-AM 1430)

   To change gears slightly, a couple of observations regarding the Cruisin'
Bruce Palmer show: I heard a couple of callers from Marlborough MA and
Norwood call in for requests. Also noted a fair amount of "unsafe" oldies,
such as "Saturday Night" by the New Christy Minstrels, "Dominique" by the
Singing Nun, "For The Love Of Him" by Bobbi Martin, and "Atlantis" by
Donovan.

Mark Watson