Gore leads group buying Newsworld International

Mark Laurence mlaurence@mindspring.com
Thu May 6 07:30:05 EDT 2004

On Thursday, May 6, 2004, at 12:48  AM, Larry Weil wrote:

> At 11:33 PM -0400 5/5/04, Mark Laurence wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, May 4, 2004, at 03:14  PM, Sean Smyth wrote:
>>
>>> The new ownership group says the network will eventually offer
>>> "innovative
>>> and bold" news programming appealing to younger viewers and that it
>>> will not
>>> lean predominantly Democratic or liberal.
>>
>> They're also saying the programming will continue to be produced by
>> the CBC.  I like that, but it's kind of surprising - and not exactly
>> bold.
>
> There's a youth oriented channel in Canada known as YTV, I don't know
> but suspect it's run by CBC.  If that's the case, I suspect this will
> be basically a US rebroadcast of this service.

YTV isn't run by the CBC, and they couldn't rebroadcast that service
because most of its programming is already seen here on Nickelodeon,
Discovery Kids and similar networks.  I think Gore & Co. wants more of
a news focus than YTV anyway.

> You expected bold from Gore?

"Innovative and bold" are their words, not mine.  The more CBC
programming they want to use, the happier I will be, but I don't think
it will produce the channel they're describing.

Mark