will FNX Broadcasting sell Maine next?

Ben Gore ben@hrdent.com
Sat Mar 27 16:34:54 EST 2004

On 24 Mar 2004 at 20:46, Roy Lawrence wrote (in part):

>Mount Hope in Sanford has never produced a decent signal for FM or TV. Channel 26
>over the air was hard to pull in at my parents home in Portland's North Deering section,
>compared to the signal WENH Channel 11 put out, a good 60 miles further as the crow
>flies to their Deerfield, N.H. TX site.

Yes, but you are also talking about the difference between a UHF versus VHF signal in
this example. You could say the same about Portland's TVs. In York County, I can get
channel 26 without an antenna on my TV, and the Portland VHFs come in fairly well off
air. The UHFs however are difficult to pull in without paying special care to the antenna
system.

But I do agree that Mount Hope is not a great broadcast site. It's only a bit over 600 feet
above sea level, and 92.1 certainly doesn't have a huge amount of transmitter power to
work with. The hill next door to it is at least 100 feet taller. It is certainly a stretch to try to
cover Portland (or even Portsmouth I think) from there, and I can't imaging they are
making a bundle from the Sanford operation.

-Ben