HD Radio

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Mar 3 17:21:05 EST 2004

<<On Wed,  3 Mar 2004 16:55:30 -0500, "Mission Control" <miscon@miscon.net> said:

> Please forgive me if this is something that's already been talked
> about here... but I was just wondering what folks are thinking (or
> hearing) about HD Radio...  Thanks,

The MW version is a botch (although I hear they have at least fixed
the problems with the codec).  NAB is now pressuring the FCC to allow
stations to use it at night, which is a monstrous abuse of spectrum.
(Then again, you could say that about practically everything the FCC
has done to AM broadcast in the past two decades.)

The VHF version somewhat less so, although it's still a bad design
created solely to perpetuate the artificial scarcity of broadcast
signals in a market.

-GAWollman