End of Swing format on WCRN 830?

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Jun 19 13:47:27 EDT 2004

I don't think so. Around the time that you apparently noticed an improvement
in the night signal, I posted to this list that I thought I had noticed an
improvement and that I wondered whether WCRN might already have increased
its night power. The result was an ANGRY posting from a gentleman named
(IIRC) Rich Chadwick, who does technical consutling for Carter Broadcasting,
which owns WCRN, WACE, and the 1220 station in Providence (WRIB?). He said
that no way was WCRN operating outside of the terms of its license and that
construction of the new nighttime facilities (which require contructing one
more tower) could not possibly begin until what is now this spring. Since
you say you live on the South Shore, when the night signal goes on, you
should hear WCRN significantly better at night than you do during the day.
The day pattern is aimed northeast (43 degrees); the night pattern is aimed
almost due east (83 degrees). If you live at 120 degrees from the
transmitter, which would mean (I think) in a place near Hingham, the signal
should seem to come from a station that operates with nighttime power
approximately twice as great as the daytime power. One of the problems I
have with estimating WCRN's nighttime signal strength at my QTH, which is
about 40 miles east-northeast of the Tx, is the station's own skywave,
which, at night, often mixes with the groundwave and causes the station to
fade in and out. Sometimes the night signal seems stronger than the day
signal; at other times, the signal nearly disappears.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367