WWZN / Celtics - Bill Griffith Column

Peter Murray pete@partnercomm.com
Tue Jun 1 10:38:34 EDT 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

>   Joseph Pappalardo wrote:
>
> >WBCN said the same thing about blowing off music programming for the
> >Patriots.
> >
> >The patriots brings in more audience that any of their off-peak music (with
> >a PT DJ) programming.
>

> Football & AOR are actually a pretty compatible mix.  Both tend to appeal
> to an under 35 male audience.  There are any number of AORs around the
> country that either carry or are flagship for NFL teams.

But WBCN (last I checked, and I might be out of date) is not AOR. Modern
Rock and football don't click as well as classic rock/AOR does. But I am
not a professional in this field. Co-owned WZLX would appear to be the
better match (with that said.) Then again, Howard Stern and classic rock
appear to be a better match... and he isn't on 100.7 either.

Clear Channel's AOR WDVE (102.5, Pittsburgh) carries the Pittsburgh
Steelers games.  Indeed, it is a good mix - and their super-B signal
covers a Very Wide Area (though not as well as former KDKA-FM WLTJ (92.9,
Pittsburgh) does from the same stick.

-Peter

Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Vienna, VA