"Equal opportunity" question

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Jul 12 20:21:07 EDT 2004

At 06:48 PM 7/12/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Am I right in assuming that the "equal opportunity provision" does not
>come into play on the recent CBS Kerry/Edwards interview because the
>program "60 Minutes" is exempted as it is a regularly scheduled news
>interview show?
>
>I know it's not radio, I'm just using it as an example. However, I'll give
>you a radio example, though it might just be a case of apples and
>oranges... set me straight regardless! (I'm sure you will.)

Any newsmaker is entitled to be interviewed when he or she makes
news.  That said, despite de-regulation, most news outlets, even though the
fairness doctrine was rescinded in 1987, still do try to present both
sides, and I am sure Bush will be interviewed in the near future.  Btw, I
thought the Kerry/Edwards interview was one of 60 Minutes' worst-- very
negative and you could see Stahl (and later Andy Rooney) dislike both Kerry
and his wife.  I think Kerry should demand equal time, given how he was
dissed!