"Equal opportunity" question

Mission Control miscon@miscon.net
Mon Jul 12 18:48:35 EDT 2004

Am I right in assuming that the "equal opportunity provision" does not come into play on the recent CBS Kerry/Edwards interview because the program "60 Minutes" is exempted as it is a regularly scheduled news interview show?

I know it's not radio, I'm just using it as an example. However, I'll give you a radio example, though it might just be a case of apples and oranges... set me straight regardless! (I'm sure you will.)

Last week, Erik Eldracher - a challanger for state Representative Barry Finegold's seat - was interviewed on the "Lowell Sunrise" program broadcast on the University of Massachusetts, Lowell's radio station (WUML).

The way I figure it, Finegold can request "equal opportunity;" but he is not likely to get it for several reasons (especially the one being mentioned above), but also because the "equal opportunity" law does not require a radio station afford a state or local candidate *any* air time.

On the other hand, it has been pointed out to me, under the public interest standard of the Communications Act, it is strongly suggested radio stations make time available for candidates for state and local offices.

What say you?

Mike