WBZ-AM 4th Coverage 2BN Stereo

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Wed Jul 7 21:51:17 EDT 2004

On 7/5/04 12:42 AM, "gic" <gary@garysicecream.com> wrote:

> I talked to one of the BZ techs yesterday who couldn't understand the whole
> thing. He said they took the stereo exciter and generator out of the
> transmitter chain last year when they were working on the system - they
> couldn't go stereo if they wanted to.

I had heard that WBZ only has AM stereo installed on their auxiliary
Hull transmitter, which is their old main transmitter. If this is
still correct, maybe no one knew that they would have had to go to
the auxiliary for stereo on Sunday night.

I recall one day last year, I think it was last fall, when they had
to go to the auxiliary for some technical reason, and they were
inadvertently in AM stereo all day (with no IBOC noise, which is only
on their new main transmitter).

Eli Polonsky