WalMart & Sam's Club On The Radio

Doug Bassett hinsdalien@yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 17:26:35 EDT 2004

--- Laurence Glavin <lglavin@lycos.com> wrote:
> ... This
> message has also been a part of a few spots for the
> company on commercial radio, but I've only heard one
> or two of those.   But, WalMart's clone, Sam's Club
> HAS been
> running conventional spots that I've heard on
> several
> occasions on WBZ and WRKO.  These are commercials
> that
> promote Sam's Clubs as a place for small businesses
> buy supplies, in effect competing with Staples and
> other
> big box office supply stores.  A shift in the
> WalMart
> Corporation's attitude towards radio is unlikely to
> help the WCAP's or WJDA's of the world...as I
> mentioned,
> I've only heard them on 50KW big-market stations.
> But it's
> possible that once again, the executives at WalMart
> jumped
> on an opportunity, the radio advertising slump due
> "commoditization of inventory", and moved in a new
> direction
> for them.

They've been running recently on Jones Satellite
Networks as well as (I think) CNN Radio.  I'd be
willing to bet that most (if not all) of their radio
advertising budget is spent on the network level, as
opposed to buying time on individual stations.  More
"bang for their buck" as it were.

Doug Bassett
Brattleboro, VT