Infinity radio stations/studio locations

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Jan 21 12:13:03 EST 2004

At 07:30 AM 1/21/2004 -0500, SteveOrdinetz wrote:
>  Scott Fybush wrote:
>>I remember some talk of moving WBCN and WZLX over there as well (WBMX
>>apparently has a long-term lease at 1200 SFR, and of course WBZ isn't
>>going anywhere), but it seems to have come to naught.
>
>Any particular reason why WBZ and 1170 SFR are forever linked?

56 years of history and an aux transmitter, for one thing - but more to the
point these days, WBZ radio and WBZ-TV operate from a common newsroom in
the back of the building. When you see a reporter or anchor on channel 4
sitting at the "newsroom" desk, that's actually a platform with a desk and
a camera right in the middle of the radio news workstations, just behind
the radio editors' desks and facing the radio studios along one wall of the
room. As long as 1030 is all-news and co-owned with channel 4, it would
make no sense to move its operations elsewhere - programming and
engineering, anyway; I suppose sales and promotions could move elsewhere
without much effect.

(The combined newsroom is actually a recent development - we made that move
in 1996, and before that we were way over on the other side of the building
from TV, with a long twisty path of corridors to follow to get from the
radio newsroom to the cramped old TV newsroom. If I had occasion to go over
to TV twice a month in the old days, it was a lot.)