LaPierre on the loose...on the beach?

rogerkirk rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net
Thu Jan 15 18:24:28 EST 2004

"Pete Ferrand" noted:
>>I don't see it as an ethics issue so much as an issue of trust and
>>allegiance. Due to LaPierre's long history with his listeners, there
>>was an expectation of what he was doing and where he was. If that is
>>broken, it just gives the listener the image that the station and
>>LaPierre and radio in general just doesn't give a damn. And that will
>>be reciprocated by the listener.

Laurence Glavin replied:
>When I order spiritous liquors, I never order a brand (as in Old Grand
>Dad Manhattan straight up), just bourbon Manhattan straight up.  I
>never imagine that I'll get the branded products in the typical bar.

The difference here is between "a typical bar" and a 40-year relationship between Gary and the WBZ audience. (And, yes, I have listened that long).  Surely there is an "order of magnitude" difference in this comparison.

This thread could go on and on and on - ad nauseum.  Some of us feel uncomfortable, others of us couldn't possibly care less.  Regardless, from no on, whenever I hear Gary's voice, my first thought will be "Gee, I wonder where he's broadcasting from today?"  It shouldn't be that way, but somehow a little, slender thread of implicit, unspoken trust has silently snapped.

A mountain out of a molehill?  Maybe.  Probably.  But if there were no molehill to begin with...   Piece spoken.  Spleen vented.  Case Closed.

Let's move on to real important Broadcasting stuff like late pattern changes, inaccuracies in the FCC Database and the death of local radio.

Roger

Over & Out