"Liberal network" signs Al Franken

Pete Ferrand petef@sprynet.com
Wed Jan 14 15:34:40 EST 2004

> Steve Ordinetz wrote:

> as "blame America first"ers.  While they may have valid
> points at times,
> very few people want to hear Saddam's side of the story.

Hah. If released he'd have absolutely no problem getting a talk show as
a well known name who wouldn't need promotion. Since he figured out how
to get massive support for his cause (himself) in Iraq for 30 years,
he'd probably be able to figure out how to get ongoing support for a
radio show. He could be part-time released to do the radio show, and it
would be his community service as he educates the public and deals with
his agression issues. They're probably casting now for his sidekick to
offer the "young female point of view".

It should be pointed out that Saddam is about as far away from having
any liberal tendencies as possible, except that he has espoused a larger
and more controlling government and is a member of an opressed minority.
Perhaps that is all it takes.

As to the more immediate issue of the liberal radio network, I'm glad
for it because it may succeed, there's no way of knowing and the system
needs people who will take a risk.

I'm sure that's not the main factor in its establishment. It may well be
a pre-election stunt but I think the main impetus for it is that it can
get the most critical thing all businesses need: capital. I'm sure there
are plenty of people who, offered the opportunity to financially support
the concept of a liberal network, will say, wow this is a great idea and
they are not overly concerned if it makes money or not. This applies to
both backers and advertisers.

The concept of a liberal talk network is easily sold and packaged, and
for most people with this bent you don't need to say any more, just that
"it's an idea who's time has come"...of course not all liberals are
alike but most people don't go to those details.

They give money to the Democrats and other parties and while they get
benefits from that support, it's not in the form of direct payment back
(we hope).

Further, by being a supporter of such an enterprise, an investor or
advertiser can now buy off attacks from various parties who feel a soap
company or stock brokerage is being unfair by only advertising on Rush,
RFD-TV, or whatever. It certainly would have a wider impact than the
contributions extracted by the Reverend Mr. Jackson's organizations.

-Pete
Enfield, NH

	"I thought I could get away with it"
			-Pete Rose