"Liberal network" signs Al Franken

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Jan 14 08:48:43 EST 2004

>>This whole thing just seems so pathetic and this coming from someone who is left of center politically and believes we should be able to compete on the air. But, has anyone heard RFK Jr. in interviews?  He is annoying, nasally, and frankly, unlistenable!<<

It IS pathetic, because these people think it's all about politics, and it's not.  The reason Rush, Savage, Hannity and the rest have survived is because they are, first and last, ENTERTAINERS who understand the medium of radio.  They attract listeners from across the political spectrum because they are entertaining.  Most liberal talk-show hosts have come across as either strident and lecturing, or just plain boring.

I think it remains to be seen if people like Al Franken can rise to the challenge and start being entertaining, but if the thrust of the "liberal network" is merely to challenge the hold of the right wing on talk radio by presenting the "other side,"  the venture is doomed to failure.  It's become almost a cliché in the radio business, but if you're talking a shot at the #1 station, you have to be at least as good as they are, regardless of any politics involved.

Sid Schweiger
MIS Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF - WEEI - WQSX - WRKO - WVEI
20 Guest St / 3d Floor