Maine media under attack!

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sun Jan 11 18:11:56 EST 2004

On 8 Jan 2004 at 20:15, Dan Billings wrote:

> How much chance is that their proposal will be adopted?  No chance.  I'm
> not sure who came up with this idea but targeting the media for a tax hike
> is bad strategy.  They will never let it happen.  The Blethen newspapers
> loves to talk about eliminating sales tax exemptions but they never go to
> Augusta to suggest imposing a sales tax on newspapers or advertising.

Sometimes when a proposal of this sort is made, the revenue proposal isn't all that serious.
The main thing these people want is to avoid the Medicaid cuts, and they don't really care all
that much what else is done to find the funds.

The political strategy is to propose the tax increase in order to show fiscally responsibility,
then drum up all the political support they can for their main agenda item.  The hope is that
they can get enough support to pass their main agenda item, forcing politicians to find some
way to pay for it, whether it's the way they proposed or not.