WBOQ's old format appears to have been resurrected--in St Louis

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Jan 9 08:16:14 EST 2004

Radio-info-com today reports that Emmis Communications is relaunching WMLL
Jerseyville, IL (St Louis) as Red 104.1. Positioning itself as "Music With
Class", the station describes its format as a younger, hipper version of
Popular Standards. The format mixes contemporary jazz and standards from
artists such as Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and Rod
Stewart with typical standards fare from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella
Fitzgerald, and Tony Bennett. Sounds to me a lot like what WBOQ used to
do--although my guess is that WBOQ's favoriite artist was Steve Tyrell, and
his name didn't make the short list of artists that Red 104.1's press
release is promoting.

Now, if a fairly sizeable group owner, such as Emmis, thinks that a format
of this sort can work (even in a downscale market like St Louis), is there
any likelihood that time buyers will take a chance on it? (There probably
are affluent boomers in St Louis, despite the city's reputation for being
WAY down at the heels. In fact, the city's over-the-hill image might be
responsible for the market's upscale demos being underserved--creating an
opening for a station that targets an affluent niche.)

I contend that time buyers insist that a format be recognizable before
making buys on any station that runs it. If time buyers become comfortable
with this format--and the demgraphics prove my assertion that this mix of
music and artists is NOT just for people with one foot (or both feet) in the
grave--could Boston yet see a revival of such classy programming? I hope
so...but it probably wouldn't be wise for me to hold my breath, especially
in view of the large number of idiotioc comments my postings on this topic
drew from members of this list after WBOQ's flip. Remember, the conventional
wisdom doesn't HAVE to be correct.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367