Clear Channel and cereal?

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu Jan 8 22:36:03 EST 2004

On 1/7/04 10:42 PM, "Sean Smyth" <ssmyth@psu.edu> wrote:

> So this is the second year in a row Clear Channel has issued a specialty
> breakfast cereal here in Pennsylvania. Last year it was Hershey Bears
> Crunch. This year it's Penn State Crunch. It's being sold in all the
> normal grocery stores and Clear Channel is actually listed as the
> company producing this. I know Clear Channel doesn't have sports rights
> here in Boston but ... does anyone know of any other situations where
> Clear Channel is making cereal? And what benefit does this give them?

Where is the cereal listed as being manufactured by Clear Channel?

>From what I can find on the web about it, including this article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2003/08/18/daily26.html

The cereal is manufactured by Ralston (a leading manufacturer of
"generic" cereals and other foods that are branded with names of
supermarket chains and for various other specific promotions), and
I can't find anything anywhere linking Ralston with Clear Channel.

Perhaps Penn State's Sports Department is using Clear Channel's
marketing division as a creative agency to develop these cereal
promotions, but I'm not finding any evidence of that either.

Eli Polonsky