Will Boston Stations Accept XM Ads After This

Mark Laurence mlaurence@mindspring.com
Thu Jan 8 09:04:17 EST 2004

On Wednesday, January 7, 2004, at 08:26  PM, Steve West wrote:

>  What if, much like DirecTV, XM/Sirius offer full-blown local radio
> channels based upon listener's zip codes?  Would then Kiss 108, Jamn
> and even WBZ 1030 feel the heat?  What's to stop them?  XM says they
> will have about 130 channels of programming later this year.  And I'll
> be listening on my Sony XM receiver (gang, it really IS better than > FM)

DirecTV and Dish Network don't originate any local progamming.  They
don't even offer the local crawls and graphics from The Weather
Channel.  They only rebroadcast local stations, partially because of
government requirements, and partially because of the continued
strength and appeal of local and network broadcast television.

If satellite radio followed the same route, they would offer local
radio signals, and it would not be long before government regulation
forced them to offer every single local station in the country to its
home market.  How they would ever accomplish this, especially when half
their audience is driving around in cars, is beyond me.

Mark