850 Transmitter Site

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jan 5 11:30:40 EST 2004

Sid: I think "doubtful" is EXACTLY the operative word. The Canadians have
"de-notified" very few of those now-dark AM allocations, but they have
de-notified (or whatever the correct word) just a few. Recently, one must
have been de-notified north of the the Twin Cities--and Canada must actually
have provided advance notification. WDGY 630 Hudson Falls WI (St Paul) went
on the air a decade or more ago after an earlier incarnation of 630 in
Minneapolis (KDWB) had been dark for a number of years. (The reincarnated
station took the unused legacy WDGY calls, which for years had been on 1130
in the Twin Cities.) Anyhow, for the last decade (and previously, with KDWB)
the Twin Cities 630 has had to protect an AM 630 in Winnipeg. Now, however,
I note that WDGY has applied for (and probably been granted) a change in
transmitter location to the WCTS (1030) site south of St Paul with a large
increase in night power and a new pattern that beams almost due north. The
proposal to use the WCTS site is WDGY's third (at least) in this series, but
all of the applications have been predicated on the idea that it's OK to
blast a signal to the north, which had never previously been permissible.
The only way this can work is if the Winnipeg station goes dark (something
that I don't think has yet happened but must be in the offing).

Also in the midwest, Salem successfully persuaded the CRTC (or Industrie
Canada) to deep six an international notification for an unbuilt AM 1160 in
North Bay ON, paving the way for WYLL Chicago to increase its night power
from 5 kW (beaming southeast from a two- or three-tower array at a site
northwest of Chicago, which will continue as WYLL's day site), to 50 kw from
a 6-tower array at a new night-only site southwest of Chicago. The text of
the WYLL application (which also involves big changes at WHBY, an 1150
station near Appleton WI) clearly states that Salem understands that North
Bay must be sacrificed as a condition for granting WYLL's application and
that it is Salem's understanding that Canada has indicated that it would
look with favor on such a request. I could find no similar wording in the
WDGY applications.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367