Globe: Met Opera out at WBOQ

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Sat Jan 3 10:53:52 EST 2004

At 8:15 AM -0500 1/3/04, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

>  A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>
>>I seem to remember that at some point, maybe in the 1980s, WNCN in
>>New York switched
>>away from a classical music format and even changed its call
>>letters to something else.
>>According to the story I read at the time, as a result of large
>>numbers of protests, they
>>changed back, both format and call letters.  At least for awhile.
>>I believe they are now no
>>longer classical, though I think this time they kept the call letters.
>

>According to my M Street, the calls are WAXQ and the format classic
>rock.  Not that it didn't happen, but I don't ever recall hearing
>that they dumped classical then went back to it.

They dropped Classical to become rock WQCD (I think!), which was
supposedly all quadraphonic, all the time.  After pressure from the
groups mentioned in my previous post, they went back to Classical and
changed the calls back to WNCN, which remained in place for a number
of years before they were sold and became WAXQ.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH