Globe: Met Opera out at WBOQ

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Sat Jan 3 10:49:01 EST 2004

At 12:37 AM -0500 1/3/04, A. Joseph Ross wrote:

>I seem to remember that at some point, maybe in the 1980s, WNCN in
>New York switched
>away from a classical music format and even changed its call letters
>to something else.
>According to the story I read at the time, as a result of large
>numbers of protests, they
>changed back, both format and call letters.  At least for awhile.  I
>believe they are now no
>longer classical, though I think this time they kept the call letters.
>
>Does anyone else know more of the specifics of this story?

Actually, not just a bunch of protesters, but two well organized
groups, one based in New York, the other known as Classical Listeners
for Connecticut.  The CT group was organized by a friend of mine,
Larry Stoller, WA1PDK, who is totally blind.

The only efforts at reversing format changes that have ever been
successful are those that are from well organized groups, not just a
bunch of random callers.  The other effort that I know was partially
successful was the Public Radio Interest Group of NH, which in 1992
(or was it 93?) prevented NHPR from totally cancelling Jazz and Folk
Music programming as had been proposed at the time.  They have since
cancelled Jazz, but the Folk Show lives on to this day (actually
tomorrow, it's on Sundays).
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH