Car radios

Damon Cassell radiofreak@4motion.org
Fri Jan 2 16:37:49 EST 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Scott Fybush wrote:

> This was an important criterion when I was car shopping a year ago - I
> wanted something with both cassette (for all my aircheck listening) and CD
> (for entertainment on longer drives, like this coming weekend), and it HAD
> to have real knobs for tuning and volume. The factory (Monsoon-brand) radio
> in my new VW Jetta fit the bill perfectly, though it's not quite as
> sensitive or selective as the Delco radio in my old Saturn, as I was
> reminded when I took Lisa's Saturn to Ohio last weekend.

Monsoon is actually owned by Delphi so by definition both your old Saturn
and your new Jetta radios are Delcos. A surprising number of parts in
current VWs are made by GM or GM affiliated companies. I was told this has
to do with the huge corporate espionage settlement a few years back, where
a European GM exec defected to VW and gave VW confidential GM engineering
data. The settlement involved VW purchasing billions in parts from GM as
compensation. I don't know how true that is.

My major gripe are cars with the antenna built into the rear window.
This is common now, and I believe it seriously impacts performance. My old
GTI (also with Monsoon) had the antenna on the roof, like yours. My new
Accord has the antenna in the rear glass, and I think you can tell the
difference.

Damon