Great local markets (was: Globe: Met Opera out at WBOQ)

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Fri Jan 2 15:07:45 EST 2004

  Sean Smyth wrote:
>On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:45:57, Mark Laurence wrote:
> > Gee, I wouldn't write off Boston as a great local market.  There are at
> > least a half dozen strong local morning shows, and fierce local talk
> > competition in the afternoon.  WBZ programs news and talk locally 24
> > hours a day, and WEEI has little use for syndicated sports talk.
>
>Yes, but have you ever heard the quality of much of WEEI's programming? Hosts
>talking over one another, callers droning on and on about irrelevant stuff,
>people on-air seeming clueless. Pete Sheppard wouldn't even make the cut
>at the
>Penn State student-run radio station, never mind in another big market. He
>overdramaticizes every little comment and every syllable; the guy's a nuisance
>to listen to.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much of a sports fan so the subject
matter doesn't interest me much, but most of what you say applies to -most-
sports talk radio I've heard.  A bunch of rather boorish guys yelling a
lot.  To me WEEI doesn't sound much different than other stations in that
format.

>Honestly I'd rather have a Tony
>Kornheiser on the air, who is sometimes clueless but a natural entertainer,
>than half-witted local hosts.

Funny you should mention that.  I also find him very entertaining...his
show definitely appeals to people other than wannabe jocks (as in jock
sports, not djs) & Monday morning quarterbacks who can argue for hours
about who the best 3rd string second baseman of all time is.  His
"cluelessness" seems to be part of the charm (though I'm not sure why he
continually references what's happening on "The View", a show very few of
his listeners likely watch).  A former co-worker of mine who -is- a sports
fan finds TK boring.  Maybe he should yell more.  :-/

I agree with Mark that Boston radio is very good.  All you need to do is
travel to other cities to appreciate what we have here.  Funny, I wasn't
all that impressed with Chicago radio last time I was there.  Guess it
depends on your taste.