Fw: More FMs for Albany

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Feb 25 01:32:36 EST 2004

>I haven't seen any numbers lately for WAJZ (96.3,
>currently doing an urban format in the Albany market),
>but would they be willing to go out on a limb with
>that format in a market that already has an
>established urban station? In addition, Albany really
>doesn't seem like a market that could support more
>than one urban station.  Just seems to me that even in
>a head to head legends battle with WKLI, Crawford
>would do much better with that than a head to head
>urban battle there.

Hi Matt!

I think the battle will be more with WTRY than with WKLI. Unlike the
Rochester "Legends" on 990, isn't Albany's "Legends" more of a "Real
Oldies" 50s-60s pop format? I suspect that, if anything, we'll see the
oldies on WPTR-FM get a little newer (i.e., late 60s-70s).

Several of those rimshot FMs around Albany are just begging to be combined
into simulcasts to reach more of the market. Galaxy's 93.7 and 94.5 come to
mind...and it seems to me that if 96.3 and 96.7 could be combined under one
owner, it too would be a sensible simulcast. 96.7 blankets Schenectady
County but doesn't do especially well in Albany; 96.3 hits Albany and Troy
from the Helderbergs but doesn't do well in Schenectady.