WJTO shows in Portland ratings

Rod O'Connor rjoc@webtv.net
Sun Feb 22 13:45:32 EST 2004

I noticed that myself the other day. And look at the latest Boston
ratings, where Bob's WJIB-740 shows up  with a 0.5 which certainly isn't
bad for a 250-watt AM station.

WJTO-730 does put out a good signal across Casco Bay into the Portland
area, and along the Maine and New Hampshire coast, from Portsmouth, all
the way up here to Mount
Desert Island. I have even heard them on my car radio over in Yarmouth
County,
Nova Scotia. The signal doesn't get too far inland however, once west of
Gorham and north of Lewiston, Auburn and Waterville it fades out
rapidly. Even during the daytime the French talker from Montreal on 730
takes over in NW Maine. I did check Augusta and Lewiston ratings and
WJTO was a no-show there.

Bob Bittner certainly does have a nice niche format here and I enjoy
listening to it for an hour or two while driving down to the Portland
area and in Mid-Coast Maine.

BTW There is a great article in the new March 2004 edition of Popular
Communications magazine about the old Beautiful/Easy-listening stations.
It even features an old 1970's Boston area FM Dial card from WWEL 107.9
"All is Well", back in  it's pre-WXKS days.
WJIB is also briefly mentioned.

Rod O'Connor
Southwest Harbor, Maine