Don Henley on radio

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Sat Feb 21 13:08:16 EST 2004

Laurence Glavin wrote:

>On the other hand, a very odd thing happened a few years ago
>when a movie called "Oh Brother, Where Art Tou" came out.
>It was a moderately successful indie fillum, but the soundtrack
>album did extremely well.  Big deal, you say.  For months, several
>newspaper and magazine articles pointed to the enormous success
>of the soundtrack album and its absence from corporate-
>owned radio stations as an example of something the public
>craved but the suits kept off-the-air because it didn't fit
>into the niches their radio stations programmed for.

I think we're seeing conspiracy where none exists.  I seriously doubt that
the big bad evil suits issued a directive to not play anything from this
top-selling album for reasons unknown.  I've never heard this album, nor do
I know anyone who has a copy so I can't comment on its content.  Is there a
possibility that it really didn't fit?  Why do seem to think that all these
radio execs got together to ban a certain CD?  At the time, I was still in
programming...I never got that memo.  Don Kelley...did you get a directive
from Greater Media to stay away from that soundtrack?

There are/were/always will be bands like Phish or the Grateful Dead who can
sell out concerts within hours of tickets going on sale, but with very few
exceptions don't/didn't/won't get much airplay.  This (in the case of the
Dead) existed long before the Telecom act of 1996.  Some (again in the case
of the Dead) need to be experienced to be fully appreciated, others may
have a cult following, but most people find their music wanting.