Uncle Charlie's not amused

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Fri Feb 6 00:39:17 EST 2004

On 5 Feb 2004 at 14:14, Joseph Pappalardo wrote:

> The RKO stuff was not illegal, as far as anyone can tell.
>
> The CBS stuff was....by most 'community standards'.

The sight of a bare breast is not illegal by most "community standards."  They show bare
asses on NYPD Blue, and NBC aired "Shindler's List" unedited, with full frontal nudity, male
and female.  And they were even planning to show a bare breast on ER this week, until the
hoopla over Janet Jackson caused them to chicken out.  They show much more in movies
and on cable channels.  I didn't see the show, but it sounds to me as though the lyrics of the
songs they were singing and the tenor of many of the commercials -- crotch-biting dogs and
farting horses -- was worse.

And, of course, there are plenty of bare breasts on display at the Museum of Fine Arts.

CBS had nothing to do with the baring of Jackson's breast.  I doubt they'll get more than a
warning.