WFCR Delays Met Opera (perche?)

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Dec 11 16:01:42 EST 2004

I'd be quite surprised if the delay is only for the Met. It's much easier
just to leave the entire station on delay--no messy entries and exits from
delay. Unlike the delay systems of yore, solid-state delay units are about
as reliable as any solid-state studio equipment and they don't require
replacement of tape cartridges (or reel-to-reel tapes) ever. Also, few if
any listeners can discern any difference in audio quality between the
delayed and non-delayed versions of a feed. It's a non-event to iscover that
a station whose format includes telephone talk (even small amounts of it) is
running on delay when telephone talk is not airing.

Listen to George Noory some night on the half-dozen or more signals on which
you can pick up the program. You'll discover about as many durations of
delay as signals on which you can receive the program. In some cases, I
think, a station will rebroadcast a feed that is already delayed by a few
seconds and add a few more seconds of delay. Has the potential of a (rather
uninteresting) parlor game--in which you amaze your friends. Listen on
headphones to a station that uses less delay. Use a different radio to tune
to a station that uses more delay. Put that feed on speakers so your friends
can hear it. Amaze them by predicting, seconds in advance, what the host or
guest is about to say. You may be able to keep your friends' attention for
as long as two minutes!

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367