WFCR Delays Met Opera (perche?)

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Sat Dec 11 15:24:16 EST 2004

Here's something odd:  WFCR-FM 88.5 in Amherst, MA delays the
Metropolitan Opera broadcasts by seven seconds.  Today (12/11) is
the first week of the 2004-2005 broadcast season, and I was checking
to see if there were any discrepancies between the station lineup
on the Met's website and who was actually carring the broadcasts.
One discrepancy (expected): WSNH-AM 900 in Nashua is NOT airing them
any more.  The fact that they did may be news to some, but it was
probably done because first Texaco, then Chevron for years paid
outlets a certain amount of money.  Now a 1,000-watt AM in NH
might only get a few hundred dollars, but at least it WAS revenue.
Getting back to WFCR, I am led to wonder if they are deliberately
delaying the Met, or is the whole station on tape (or hard-drive)
delay?  Later on, I'll have to see if NPR and PRI feeds are also
7 seconds behind.