TV news tickers

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Tue Aug 17 00:40:57 EDT 2004

Last night a memory occurred to me, and I wonder if anyone (Donna, maybe?) can
remember any more details.

It seems to me that back when my parents bought our first TV set, in late 1949, we
occasionally saw the news on television in the form of a moving ticker on the bottom of the
screen (obviously, it was something mechanical, not the computer graphics of today), with
background music playing and, probably, a visual ad on the rest of the screen.  I think this
was probably local, not a network thing.

Of course, I couldn't read at the time, and I wasn't quite sure what "news" was, but I knew
that it was something that was important to grownups, and I caught enough of their
conversation to know that this was what the moving ticker was.

Exactly why this popped into my head, after all these years, last night at bedtime, I don't
know, but there it is.