Wal-Mart Funds NPR, PBS & Scholarships

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Mon Aug 16 16:01:57 EDT 2004

>From: "Scott Fybush" <scott@fybush.com>
>Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:56:39 -0400 (EDT)
>To: rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net
>Subject: Re: Wal-Mart Funds NPR,  PBS & Scholarships

> I don't speak for public broadcasting as a whole or even for my particular
> public broadcaster, but it seems to me that the underwriting credits are
> relatively neutral, their money's as green as anyone else's, and if they
> want to use public broadcasting underwriting to get their message out,
> well, they're hardly alone.
>
> (And I continue to hear reporting on NPR that's critical of the company,
> so I don't think the - relatively small - underwriting campaign is having
> any effect on the news department, which is as it should be.)

I had a posting on the subject of Wal-Mart and Sam's Club in
July.   I mentioned that outright commercials for Sams Club
could be heard on WBZ and WRKO;  "feel-good" messages for Wal-Mart
also could be heard on those outlets.  I haven't noticed any
particular favorable or unfavorable treatment of the Arkansas
Ravagers on those ouutlets however.  But my favorite
juxaposition of berating W-M/SC one minute, and reading an
NPR underwriting message occurred on "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me."
In fact, I think I hear a tinge of irony in Peter Segal's
voice when he reads it!  And from time to time, the Wal-
Mart acknowledgement is played back-to-back with one from
the Kresge Foundation:  a holdover from the company
that eventually became K-Mart.