Housing To Be Built On WSMN-Owned Land

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Thu Apr 29 22:05:17 EDT 2004

  Mark Watson wrote:
>   Today's Nashua Telegraph reports that the Nashua Zoning Board of
>Adjustment has approved a plan to a 40 unit single family housing
>development to be built on land located at 502 West Hollis St., land that is
>owned by the 1590 Broadcasting Corporation, who own WSMN (1590 Nashua) and
>upon said land the station's studios and transmitter site are located. The
>article doesn't mention anything about how this will affect the operation of
>the station. One would have to guess that if the station isn't moving it's
>transmitter site, then these folks who buy these new houses will have a 3
>tower directional array to look at. Or is this the end of WSMN? There really
>isn't much land left in the area to build a new 3 tower directional.

I can't imagine that a 40-unit single family housing development will leave
much space for a 3 tower DA unless there's a lot more land to this parcel
than immediately meets the eye.  The impression I got from a group of
people who were brokering time on WSMN was that the tower site was coming
down and a new one was needed.  They seemed pretty naive about the whole
thing and seemed to think that diplexing off WKBR's site (in
Goffstown...outside of WSMN's current lobe) was an option.  Given that WSMN
has never made any money for anyone my guess is that 1590 will soon be a
thing of the past.  Even if they DID have the resources to find & construct
a new site, the gov't red tape and NIMBYs would tie the process up for years.