why media consolidation is NOT a good thing

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Apr 29 15:50:16 EDT 2004

<<On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:29:35 -0400 (EDT), "SteveOrdinetz" <steveord@bit-net.com> said:

> Are you saying that broadcast owners (whether it's a large group or a
> single owner) don't have the right to choose what programming they air?
> Or is it that you disagree with this particular decision?

I have to say that this is a rather unfortunate choice on Sinclair's
part, but it doesn't advance the point made in the subject line at
all.  Years ago, parochial small-time operators (under the old rules
of ``eight of a kind'') pre-empted more programming, more regularly,
than any of the big groups do today.

-GAWollman