why media consolidation is NOT a good thing

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Thu Apr 29 15:29:35 EDT 2004

> Okay fine, I understand we may all disagree on this, but censoring ABC
> Nightline??? How rude.  Springfield is among the markets where the show
> will not air.  Frankly, I don't get it.
>
>   From Newsblues.com:  "...Sinclair Broadcasting, which owns 62
> television
> stations and reaches approximately 24% of the nation's viewers, has
> ordered  its ABC  affiliated stations not to carry tomorrow evening's
> "Nightline"  episode, titled "The Fallen," which will air the names and
> photos of  Americans who have died in Iraq.
> Sinclair, which has pushed a decidedly [conservative]
> agenda on its centralized "NewsCentral"  broadcasts, has a number of
> major  ownership requests currently before the Republican-controlled
> Federal  Communications Commission."

Are you saying that broadcast owners (whether it's a large group or a
single owner) don't have the right to choose what programming they air?
Or is it that you disagree with this particular decision?