WCRB surprise

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Wed Apr 21 01:42:34 EDT 2004

I was quite surprised this morning to hear a symphony on WCRB by Freidrich Wilhelm
Herschel, better known as Sir William Herschel, and discoverer of the planet Uranus.  I knew
that Herschel was a musician who did astronomy at night as a hobby (until his discovery
won him an appointment as court astronomer to King George III).  What surprised me was
that WCRB departed to that extent from its usual playlist.  I've done my share of criticizing
WCRB in this forum for its pop-radio style tight playlist, so it's only fair for me to cheer when
they do something nice.

The symphony was in the style of Mozart and Haydn, since it was a product of its time.  But
it was pleasant to listen to and deserves to be in WCRB's regular repetoire.