Air America grounded in dispute over money (Chicago Sun-Times)

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Mon Apr 19 00:13:41 EDT 2004

At 9:49 PM -0400 4/18/04, Richard Chonak wrote:

>Sirius Satellite Radio is adding "Air America" to its lineup starting 4/19:
>   http://www.sirius.com/AirAmerica
>so I suppose this gives AA national coverage, after a fashion.

They've also been on XM Satellite Radio from the start, although some
of their programs are pre-empted on XM.  On Sirius they will share a
stream with live sports coverage, though any programs pre-empted for
sports will be aired at a later time.

>Does anybody know how the relationship between Sirius and program
>providers  works?   Does "Air America" pay for the slot?
>
>Given that Sirius now carries the weekday talk shows of PRI, 2
>channels of NPR, Air America, its own "Sirius Left" channel, and the
>gay-oriented "OutQ", I think Sirius customers will not face a
>shortage of left-wing analysis and opinion.    On the conservative
>side, they have "Sirius Right" and some of the shows on the
>variety-talk channels.

On the right, Sirius carries Fox News Channel, and also numerous
right-wing talk programs on the ABC News and Talk stream and on the
Talk Central stream.  I've been told that the Sirius Trucking Channel
is slanted to the right. They also have several streams of Christian
programming, which tend I believe (I'll admit, I don't actually
listen) to have a right-wing political slant at times.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH