Nassau's flip/ Frank & the Bone

Dan Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Fri Apr 16 20:27:39 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sid Whitaker" <sid.whitaker@unh.edu>
To: "Jeremy Mixer" <mixer@zoso.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: Nassau's flip/ Frank & the Bone

> As Jeremy mentions, the interesting question is: can three rimshot
stations that
> have never been significant players in Portland unseat WBLM and WMGX---two
> Portland stations that have dominated the market for decades? And what
will it
> take to do it? Old habits die hard, and IMHO, for many listeners around
here,
> BLM and MGX are habitual choices: rarely questioned, almost never
> second-guessed. The 107.5 signal certainly covers the market, but unlike
BLM
> and MGX, I don't think I've ever seen 107.5 on a car preset around here,
or
> heard it an office.

WBLM was on 107.5 until the mid 1980's and did fine there.  The current
107.5 signal is stronger since they moved the tower to Poland and upped the
power.  But your other points are sound.

WBLM before WCYY was a station poised for a fall because they were still
trying to mix in new rock with a mainly classic rock station.  Since they
started WCYY, they only play new music that fits with the classics and that
is mainly stuff by classic rock artists and the format works.

WMGX, on the other hand, tries to be all things to all people -- their music
is all over the place.  It has worked for them without any direct
competitor.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine