Nassau comes to town

Dan Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Fri Apr 9 23:29:49 EDT 2004

I am the last guy who would challenge WMTW or anyone else's right to
broadcast liberal propaganda.  I think the current equal time laws are
ridiculous.  The government ought to forget about content regulation all
together.  They do a lousy job of it.  The Tonight Show and Howard Stern
were both ruled to be news programming so Arnie's appearances during the
California campaign so equal time laws did not apply.  Then there is the
issue of Clear Channel getting fined for a Howard Stern broadcast but not
the other stations carrying the same program.  Does that make sense?

By the way -- don't the equal time rules kick in 6 weeks before a primary
and 8 weeks before an election?  The 4/24 date Chuck mentions is likely
related to Maine's June primary, which is not a Presidential primary so WMTW
would not have a problem with broadcasting Kerry speeches.

The Air America website -- http://www.airamericaradio.com/ -- lists the
network as being on 5 stations:

New York - WLIB 1190 AM
Los Angeles - KBLA 1580 AM

Chicago - WNTD 950 AM

Portland, OR- KPOJ 620 AM

Inland Empire, CA-  KCAA 1050 AM

With the network coming to town, Maine will be ahead of the trends for a
change.

Does anyone know how much money is behind this network?  It seems to me that
they will burn through a lot of money real fast in buying stations and
paying to be on stations like WMTW.

I wonder what the SeaDogs will think about being associated with a station
with such a clear partisan agenda?

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine