WTAO-TV and WXHR

RBB oldradio@earthlink.net
Sat Nov 29 18:43:08 EST 2003

Could anyone on this list, perhaps, give me some details of WTAO-TV Channel
56 (power, haat, coverage pattern, range, etc.)
as well as WXHR-FM when both were operating from atop Mt. Zion in Woburn, MA
in the 1950's? (Just how high is Mt. Zion anyway?)

Any additional information about their audience numbers or kind of
advertising for the limited programming both stations had then, like when
both were signing on about 5 p.m. and signoff at 11 p.m.  The TV side had
old b/w movies, some Dumont and ABC network shows, a few PSA shows, and you
needed a UHF adapter with bow-tie antenna to receive the usually snowy
picutre.  Any idea who the two engineers were (Joe and another engineer
(name?) who brought his wife to the xmtr on Sunday night?) - I have their
photo, if anyone can identify them back then.

The FM programmed just classical music, and there was a gal announcing with
a British accent on Sunday nights? Who?

And...what broadcast facilities are on Mt. Zion now?  Did they take down the
Ch.56 and XHR towers, or move the xmtrs from that building on top?  When?

I'm attempting to research that time period (mid-50's) when I did a Sunday
night, live TV variety show from that site (albeit with just one Dage
industrial b/w camera with a zoom lens!) I have some photos of the program,
now I'd like to put this additional and technical information together.
(Did anybody on the list happen to see that show?) Thanks in advance for
your reply and recollections.

=Russ Butler  oldradio@earthlink.net