WCRB-FM Stereo

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Tue Nov 25 01:57:10 EST 2003

> From: Kevin Vahey <kvahey@tmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:22:15 -0800
> To: Hakim Madjid <hmadjid@yahoo.com>, lawyer@attorneyross.com,
> oldradio@earthlink.net
> Cc: Boston Radio <boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org>
> Subject: Re: WCRB-FM Stereo
>
> I dimly recall some station in Boston claiming at one point they were
> transmitting a quad signal. WWEL seems to be the one nagging in my
> head.

For a short time around 1973 or 1974 WBCN was broadcasting in
a kind of "fake quadraphonic" which seemed to involve sending
a certain range of the audio frequencies out of phase, which
sent those frequencies to the rear speakers.

It sounded a bit strange in regular stereo, like there was
some phase error, and it sounded somewhat tinny in mono due
to phase cancellation.

I never had a "quad" receiver to check it out in it's glory.
I wonder if any of them ever show up on eBay? That's now about
the only place you can get an AM stereo these days.

Eli Polonsky