Where I Was 40 Years Ago (a radio story)

hopfgapr@sprynet.com hopfgapr@sprynet.com
Fri Nov 21 17:49:40 EST 2003

I was just 2 weeks shy of my 6th birthday, and had come home from school (1st Grade) when the man I appaerntly called "John F The Kennedy" was shot. By the time I got home, which was around 3:30 ET , it was already "wall-to-wall" coverage on the 3 networks.

-Paul Hopfgarten
-East Derry NH

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill O'Neill <billo@shoreham.net>
Sent: Nov 21, 2003 2:35 PM
To: 'Donna Halper' <dlh@donnahalper.com>,
	boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
Subject: RE: Where I Was 40 Years Ago (a radio story)

Donna writes:

> On another list, we were asked where we were when Kennedy was
> shot, and
> this was my reply:
>
> I was at Roslindale High School, where I was doing what I
> normally did--
> trying to listen to the radio whenever my classes got too
> boring.  <snip>

I was not quite wee 3 years old when JFK was killed, so I have no recollection,
whatsoever. What I do have, however, is how this day's anniversary impacted on
my parents and grandparents through the mid and late 60s.  It was not an
uncommon sight to see a framed photo of JFK in someone's living room or hall, at
that time.  It was as if there was an effort to keep alive his memory at a time
when the world was getting any friendlier or safer.  When RFK was shot, it
became a double-hit to the senses and emotions: JFK revisited, the hope of RFK
snuffed, and the, at the very least, regional impact by the assault on the
Kennedy machine.

Bill O'Neill