WAAF Worcest..errr... Westborough!

Tom Giarrosso tommyg62@comcast.net
Thu Nov 20 09:48:03 EST 2003

WERZ was way up there in the early 80's - when I came on in 85', WHEB had a
Hit Rock Radio format - I think it was Lee Abrams - with a little tweaking.
WERZ had a lighter almost 'KISS' type format - more dance and balads. Then
WHEB wend deeper into the new albums (I think they ended up doing 6 cuts
deep on Dire Straights 'Brothers in Arms 'lp)

I remember a benefit in Portsmouth in the late 80's - WERZ had a table, and
tried to jump on the stage I where I was running audio to talk to the crowd
with the band PA system. I'm standing at the board wearing my WHEB jacket,
and they wondered why the mic was turned off...

-----Original Message-----
From: SteveOrdinetz [mailto:steveord@bit-net.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 8:33 AM
To: Boston-Radio-Interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: WAAF Worcest..errr... Westborough!

Roy Lawrence wrote:
>That's interesting since A *very* real rock station
>WHEB was pulling a 12+ in the ratings back then,
>actually beating WOKQ. Listeners had a choice of WCYY
>94.3 (Biddeford/Portland) or WBCN 104.1 (Boston) if
>they wanted a choice.

I don't know the time period Mike Thomas was referring to, but back in the
80s WHEB was fairly wimpy as AORs go, almost more of a rock 40 than a true
AOR, certainly not a headbanger like WAAF.  As I recall WERZ was beating
them rather handily during that period.  I'm not an especially big hard
rock fan so I'm not familiar with what they're doing today.