Brattleboro Selectboard passes diluted resolution for rfb

RogerKola@aol.com RogerKola@aol.com
Thu Nov 20 01:12:00 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/20/03 12:07:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
engineer@the-spa.com writes:

> Hmmm they are getting for free what others are paying a lot of money for,
>  illegally. You think that's fair?

Is it fair that the FCC allows frequencies to go unused in a situation where
there is clearly a public mandate to allow LPFM, the licenses for which are
being held up by those corporations who "are paying a lot of money" even though
it has been shown that, in this situation, no interference has been created by
their presence?

The crime is that the FCC, as a holder of a "public trust," the airwaves,
cannot figure how to allow a low budget operation to continue without incurring
the wrath of those people who have paid a lot of money for other frequencies
which were free for the taking in the beginning.

This is clearly a money issue here, the rest is a smokescreen. Inaction by
the FCC on LPFM applications has caused a frustration in the general public
which mimics the creation of the lawlessness on 27 MHz and subsequent abandonment
of its' enforcement, plus the general disregard for good operating practice in
the 802.11, 2.4 GHz band.

If all these frequencies are available under Part 15, then the FCC admits
local "governing" of the airwaves is legal. As they specify only an accepted
power level and not a "range," they leave open the concept of "local" enforcement
to that of being subject to interference from other users. The power level
then becomes arbitrary.

Well, there's a lot off my chest....

Do I hold an FCC License? yes, for the last 40 years Do I follow the rules?
yes

Do I feel the FCC operates efficiently and in a vacuum?  No

Roger Kolakowski
WA1KAT