Fwd: Re: NH, VT Public Radio applaud $200 million gift from McDonalds widow

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Sat Nov 8 14:54:21 EST 2003

>DATE: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 19:34:46
>From: aread@speakeasy.net
>To: "Brian Vita" <brian_vita@cssinc.com>,"Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@yahoo.com>, "Larry Weil" <kc1ih@mac.com>,boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org

> Think that there's any chance that NPR will turn down their welfare check
> from Uncle Sam this year (or at least part of it) since they got the big
> donation and let some other government gimme agency squander the money
> instead?
>
> Brian T. Vita, President

On "Weekend Edition/Saturday" and "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me"
this morning, it was made clear that this bequest will go into
an endowment rather than be spent all at once.  It's hoped
that proceeds from the endowment will dampen revenue swings
NPR and other, um "Cultural" organizations have recently
experienced.
(It's like every time I went white water rafting in Maine,
the guide always considered me ballast to keep the raft from
becoming unstable)

Laurence Glavin