Fwd: Re: WTTT - - AM950

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Wed Nov 5 17:23:30 EST 2003

>DATE: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 06:49:06
>From: "Dan Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net>
>To: "Joseph Pappalardo" <joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com>,"Boston Radio Interest" <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
>Yes, I even tried calling to see if I could clear up >the continual
>references to the wrong frequency, but by the time I >got to the phone, the
>tape delay had begun. BTW, Hewitt's show, which has >been heard at least for
>months--and probably longer--on WROL 950, was on both >950 and 1150 last
>night from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Moreover, I could >believe that 950 was on
>full day power overnight.

You are corroborating some posts I've made in the past about
WROL's lackadaisical adherence to power-up/power-down
rules.  In July , I mentioned that I picked up WROL
at 10:00 pm in Pittsfield over WPEN in Philly and WIBX from
Utica, NY. (I heard an official station ID at 10:00 pm;  power-down time
in July is 8:30).
This is not new to Salem;  in the Carbery days, I was at
a summer home-opening on the Cape of Cod, and the
hostess, being Hibernian by heritage, had the Irish
Hit Parade on a radio near the grill.  It continued being
clearly audible after 8:00 pm (this was Memorial Day weekend),
and later I checked out 950 on rt 6 while heading home, and
WROL was quite audible over the PA and NY stations.  It was
so long ago, 950 in Presque Isle may still have been on.

Laurence Glavin